MAY you always LOVE to READ

Jen from Sparkling in Second and I are here to recommend MORE  monthly-themed books!
Before we get started, I want to share one of my favorite memories with my mom. She is the BEST!!!! My mom and I are best friends. I love the special relationship we have. I will never forget when I was in 5th grade we would sit in her bed and read Confessions of Charlotte Doyle each night. My mom was my biggest cheerleader. I remember she would read a page and I would read a page. As a kid weekly library visits were a must. We were also lucky to get to go to Rakestraw Books and pick out new books frequently. I am glad that my mom shared my motto, "OPEN THE MAGIC!".

 
Now back to our regular schedule blog post....
Check back with us each month for our top picks for K-5 classrooms. This month  our recommendations are like a pot of chicken noodle soup. We are bringing you Mother's Day, Cinco de Mayo, and Wordless picture book favorites!!!
Check out some of our favorite read alouds...
A Chair For My Mother
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0688040748/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0YQF2F48M33JESMGYVY7&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475182&pf_rd_i=desktop


One of my favorite books of all time. Such a wonderful story of how a daughter pays respect to her mother. Every time I read this book, I cry. :) Great read aloud before starting mother's day projects. Also great for teaching cause and effect, money, and family traditions.Amazon Affilate link provided.
Grades: K-5
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Mother-Daughter-Book-Club-Collection/dp/1442498439/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429846988&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=the+mouther+daughter+bookclub+series

Do you have 4-6th grade girls in your class that love books about "girlie" matters? This series is perfect for them. The girls in my class read this series like wildfire.  A group of girls become friends as they read the classics and learn how to deal with growing up. 
5th-7th grade
The Secret Knowledge of Grownups
http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Knowledge-Grown-Ups-David-Wisniewski/dp/0064437531

I love this book! It is light and hilarious read about why parents do the things they do. I would use this book to teach about "how to" or a unit on growing up.
Grades 1-6


This is my favorite wordless picture book. A story filled with friendship, trails, animals. I love using this story when teaching about hard work and life. One activity I have done is let the kids use their imagination and write their own story based on the pictures.
Grades 1-6

Chicks and Salsa


The PERFECT read aloud for Cinco de Mayo!!!! Great for opinion writing, how to, and celebrating Cinco de Mayo. In the back, it has a great guacamole recipe too.
Grades 1-6

These books are linkable with my amazon affiliate program

Hop on over to Jen's blog to read the rest of our list!
http://sparklinginsecondgrade.blogspot.com/2015/04/may-read-aloud-recommendations.html
What's your favorite memory of your mom?

1 comment

  1. Love that you featured your mom!! That really says a lot! I hope I've passed on my passion for reading to my own daughters, too! I didn't realize The Mother Daughter Book Club was a series now. I'll have to get them!! Thanks for always recommending GREAT books, Courtney!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love when you comment. It makes my day! I like to comment back to you through email. Make sure you have that setting enabled! Have a wonderful day!!!!
Courtney

Back to Top