Every Chapter is Different

Happy Tuesday! About a month ago, I found out I will be teaching summer school in my district. I am super excited because I get to teach an enrichment reading and writing class to 3rd thru 5th graders. On my instagram last week, I asked my followers which chapter books they recommend. WOW! I had such a wonderful response. Check out all the great finds they recommended. I already have several in my amazon shopping cart. Today, I thought I would give back and share some of my favorite chapter books with you!

 One of my favorite reasons to teach the upper grades is reading real chapter books. Literature circles and literature snack talks are pretty much at the top of my list. Over the past few years, I have become very comfortable teaching the older grades. Yes, I still have A LOT to learn, but I feel my right fit is in the older grades. I connect with them, and I enjoy having real conversations. Today, our school had an outdoor field day for 5th grade. Watching the students compete together and seeing the kids cheer for each other just made me smile inside. It is crazy to me that you can already tell which kids are going to be true athletes. Ok, back to my regular scheduled post...chapter books!



I am usually not one for classics, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. There is something about Alec and his bravery that gets me teared up every time I read this book. I think what gets me the most is Alec's willingness to never give up. This is a great resource for students to see that life is hard work, but in return, rewarding. When I taught in Arizona, we participated in The Black Stallion project. All 4th grade classes around Tucson received a class set of The Black Stallion. Each student had his or her own book and we had wonderful discussions as we read the book. The students got to learn about other countries, states, horses, hard work, companionship, danger, adventure, and the list could keep going. Once we finished the book, the city of Tucson presented a wonderful live horse show for the students. Many of my students had never seen a real horse before. My last year in Tucson, I was actually interviewed by The Daily Star, Tucson's leading newspaper, about my students' experience at the show. That was a pretty cool experience.  Here, take a look at what I said:
Want to read the whole article? Click Here!

I can't believe I did not read this book until I was 23. Can't believe what I was missing. This book is recommended to any child in 4th grade and up. I believe the content is pretty deep and discussion should continue throughout the book. Talk about a hard life! Growing up in Copenhagen during the Nazi era was terrifying for Annemarie Johansen and her best friend. This adventure seeking book is sure to jump off your shelves.
This book talks to students. Even though they are just kids, they have emotions running wild in their heads. I am sure they think to themselves, "Am I the only one who feels this way?" "Am I really that different?" This book teaches how to be uplifted from a dark place. This is a book you just have to read to understand the deep emotion you will feel after you finish the last page.

Well this is a given! Any Beverly Clearly book is going to be on my list. This book is about an older and a younger sister's antics. I can relate to this book times 100. Click here if you want to know why my sister and I are Beezus and Ramona. Here is a picture of the two of us from our family pictures this Christmas. Meet Tiffany aka Beezy. :) We are three years apart. In fact, in thirty days I will be 30. Oh my!
http://brynnalysonphotography.blogspot.com/


Question: Would you be interested in doing a blogger book club for children's literature? Leave your thoughts below.


1 comment

  1. I don't have a blog but I'd love to join a book club! We tried to do one with the teachers at our school but we only got through one book and the discussions for it and then it fizzled out. haha

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love when you comment. It makes my day! I like to comment back to you through email. Make sure you have that setting enabled! Have a wonderful day!!!!
Courtney

Back to Top