Readers Become Leaders

Hope everyone is having a good week so far. I know it's only Tuesday. Hopefully, my post will make your day or week better.
This week, I would like to share two books. One of these books holds a special place in my heart. My first year teaching, I taught in Tucson, Arizona. I taught in a school with mostly Hispanic kids. I came from a completely different world than all of my students. As the year progressed, I learned about many wonderful Hispanic traditions, foods, and songs.  One of my very good friends told me about a wonderful chapter book that would have our students begging me to read it during  our read aloud time. Soap Box Moment- having students listen or read books that they can relate to will have more of an impact than if they can not relate. When we read it together as a class there were times when my eyes would well up in tears. Without further ado:



Esperanza Rising is one of the those books that changes you. It allows you to dive into another culture and learn about the hardships different people have to deal with. I recommend reading it with 4th and 5th graders. It will open their eyes and allow for a vocal classroom discussion. Sometimes life isn't fair- how would you deal with losing something close to you? Sometimes fair isn't always equal. 

3rd Grade Thoughts has a wonderful Response to Text Menu
that would allow for such rich conversation Before+During+After reading Esperanza Rising. If you go to her blog, she has this Response to Text Menu for free. In her TPT store, she has a menu for each calendar month. So cool! Want to see, click here.

I want to know who invented LICE? Ugh! #Sogross, just being honest. If you aren't a teacher, you might not have the same sentiments as we do about this bug. The feeling when you go check your mailbox and you see a stack of 32 white papers from the nurse's office, you just get sick (start itching your hair) . Yep! Ever since I found out about the lice party that happends in most elementary schools, my hair has decided to be in a pony for most of the year. I did hear that lice do not like colored hair so maybe im safe! For my second recommendation, I would like to introduce David Shannon's newest gem...

Bugs In My Hair
I feel that the title and picture explain it ALL.  I think this would be a great read aloud to read during the beginning of school. I am also thinking during story time before bed. Enjoy the itchy read! :) The pictures are quite the experience. If you get easily grossed out, save this read for someone else. I wonder is there National Lice Day?- wouldn't this be a great classroom present.

1 comment

  1. I LOVE Esperanza Rising. It has always been one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love when you comment. It makes my day! I like to comment back to you through email. Make sure you have that setting enabled! Have a wonderful day!!!!
Courtney

Back to Top